Sunday, October 5, 2014

About to Start

Our time to roll has finally arrived...well sort of. We still have about a 90 mile drive north to the actual start of the Parkway, however our roll-out is now a matter of hours. 

Yesterday I thoroughly enjoyed the ride up with Mike and Rhonda. The Keeleys are super people. Even with an extended route, which added a little bit of unplanned beautiful scenery along the way, the drive up passed by quickly. Not only was the scenery gorgeous but I also enjoyed getting to know Mike and Rhonda better as well. I am not sure if they would say the same of me though. Part of the time we chose different songs from Mike's iTunes list and sang along. If you know me, you know I love to sing, and you also know that I cannot carry a tune in a bucket. Either they were kind enough to not complain or, they are still in shock and simply unable to respond. Either way the drive was fun. 

Last night we stayed in Moneta VA with some of Mike's family. Their hospitality was second-to-none. They are such a welcoming and accommodating family. (They remind me of my extended family in many ways.) A special "thank you" to my gracious hostess last night, Miss Shirley, Mike's aunt. She is such a cordial hostess for allowing me to stay with her last night. (My post is late and brief because I enjoyed spending time last night with them instead of on the computer.) Shirley, Jim, Susan, David, Mary Evelyn, Frank and the kids are all very kind and interesting people. (Good luck today David on your race.) 

So, it is currently 42 degrees outside at the moment. Brrrrr. But it is dry, so I am not complaining. I do believe, however, I am going to need my heavier gear for today's ride. It is going to be cold. Yesterday on the ride in we were able to see some of the terrain we will be covering over the next two days. I will do my best to take pictures and possibly video from the GoPro (thanks Preston). But I also want to take the time to soak it all in and not be too distracted by trying to take pics. Oh yeah, and I believe I also have some riding to do in the meantime as well. : ) 

Your prayers for safe travel are appreciated. More to come later today.  


3 comments:

  1. YOU GO GUYS!!!!! Have a blest day.

    Dale & Judy Devine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,
    We SO enjoyed meeting you yesterday! You are always welcome in Moneta!! Have a great ride and take care of my cuz!!

    Susan & Jim Dolinar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck guys!!

    David Sellars

    ReplyDelete