Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Epic Trip

Boy did we have fun!  I'm not even sure which was the best part of the trip.  Riding a bike is a simple task that most of us learned as a child.  Really not much to it many might say.  Still covering great distances under your own power while taking in the sights and sounds of a rural road can be sublime. Doing this on mountain roads with glorious views in all directions can't be described.  Still I'm going to try.

We did have a few bumps in the road.  I think I planned too many miles early in the week.  In my mind I had us ending the day at two or three each day with our feet up enjoying a beer before dinner.  In actuality we rode until six and hurried to dinner.  Our legs were heavy and overloaded.  Luckily Jason has a limitless supply of enthusiasm and Rhonda is wonderful sag.  We did become accustomed to the miles and by the last two days we were making better time and finishing earlier.

The highlights of the trip were many.  As both Jason and I have said the views where glorious, the riding challenging and rewarding, but the people we spent time with made the trip.  I have ridden with Jason many times and have enjoyed his company, but now I feel like a know him.  He listened to my stories and rode back to meet me as I neared the top of the hills. He was even willing to climb a tree for apples.   He is always positive, loves to meet new people and makes them feel special,  and is loads of fun.

 We also had many visits from family and friends.   Tom, John, David, and Stephen all joined us at times for the ride.  Stephen is the master cycling trip planner and it was great having him join us for our Queen stage.  The Phemister's joined us for a meal and great conversation.  Of course getting to visit with my family in Moneta started us off well and our night in Brevard was extra special with a get together with Mom, Dad and Matt.  Thanks for dinner Matt.

Best of all was having a beautiful sag who always had a smile and something to eat around every hill.  Have a cable break?-just call for a ride to the bike shop. Start to rain and ready to pack it in?-just say the word and the Subaru shows up.  Need to back track to make up miles?-she is happy to take you in the wrong direction.  Need a massive amount of home cooking to make the rest day work?-she can make it happen at the Cheese.  All I can say is thanks Rhonda and I love you.

Well that is it for me.  Jason I'll close by saying let's do it again!

Mike

1 comment: