Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Morning After

"Always leave them wanting more." I have no idea where I first heard that quote. Basically it means, don't stay too long, don't over-do it, don't do something so excessively that the appeal wears off. Well, even as heavy as my legs feel this morning, I find myself wanting more. I wish I had one more section to ride today, one more mountain to summit, one more descent to bomb down.

Yesterday was the final day of the Parkway By Bike ride Mike and I began a mere 7 days ago. We decided to get an early start yesterday morning based on weather forecast. We hoped to beat the rain that was expected by early afternoon. Almost immediately out of the gate we began the repeated up-and-down riding that would predominate the day. Breath-taking vistas were book-ended by extended climbs and exhilarating downhills. Mike and I took it all in knowing that yesterday was the final day. We made several stops simply to take pictures and appreciate the views.


Sunrise over Brevard

We also made a stop at the highest point along the parkway for the obligatory picture and to put on warmer clothes and rain gear as our early morning start wasn't quite early enough. We were in and out of weather all day long. Normally, I might have bemoaned the weather and wished for cloudless skies and sun, but it seemed befitting of the territory and Mike and I both simply took it in stride. You can see the weather behind us in this picture.


Normally, descending is effortless and carefree. However, the descent from here was almost as taxing as the climb that followed. Wet roads covered with leaves, limited visibility and temps cool enough to cause your fingers to become stiff, all add up to a descent that leaves you exhausted. And then you bottom out to see one more climb for the day. One final climb but it was a daunting one. It did seem to just go on forever, back up into the clouds and rain.


The final several miles were all downhill. We easily reached speeds into the 40s on our final descent and, if roads were a little drier, would have allowed for even faster riding. Those speeds made the culmination of our efforts come to an end much too quickly. We rounded several curves at breakneck speeds and bottomed out at mile 469, the end of our journey. We circled back around and made one last picture of our trek.


Mentally I am fully aware of what Mike and I just completed. Riding the Blue Ridge Parkway by bike, if I may say so myself, is quite an accomplishment. 469 flat miles is a lot of ground to cover by bike in 7 days. Throw in the mix that our route required us to climb 50,900 total feet and you have for yourself an accomplishment you can hang your hat on. As I sit here typing this I catch myself thinking I should feel more satisfied with what we just accomplished...and yet...part of me is still desiring more. I don't think it is because I am a discontented person; I consider myself to be, overall, fulfilled. I think it has more to do with the fact that cycling is my passion. I don't just have fun doing it. I don't simply enjoy doing it. I feel alive on a bike and I yearn for ways to keep that feeling going. I am not sure what the next cycling goal will be, but hopefully I can set my sights on something else now to focus my energy and drive.

But, there is time for that decision later, after today. Today, right now, is the time to give ample consideration and appreciation for a goal completed. To quote William Blake, "Great things occur where men and mountains meet." And Mike and I met the mountain, both literally and metaphorically, and we won, and it was a great thing.


2 comments:

  1. Congrats to both of you on a great ride!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff guys!!! Great accomplishment.

    David S.

    ReplyDelete