Saturday, October 4, 2014

Day of Departure

Finally, the day of departure is here! We drive up to VA in just a few hours. Still a little packing to do but otherwise I am READY TO GO. This past week has reminded me of how I felt when I was 7, 8, 9 years old waiting for Christmas morning the week before. It has been hard to focus on, well, much of anything else other than getting ready for and anticipating this ride. 

Funny enough when I was getting my gear ready last night, trying on multiple items making sure I had everything I needed and such, I noticed something. In preparing for this ride I have actually gained a few pounds. Some of my jerseys and bibs were a little tight. I guess this past week I continued to eat the same obnoxious amount of food I have been in the previous weeks. The only problem is that I also tapered my training mileage to almost 0 this week wanting to save my legs. End result-I am gonna have to carry a few extra lbs up the first day or two of climbing. : ) An unintended consequence to say the least. 

Oh well, extra climbing weight notwithstanding, I am STOKED to be driving up today. A recent check on weather forecast is yet another reason to be excited. I know, I know, weather forecasting is about as precise as correctly predicting the roll of a dice beforehand...not very good. But, if the current forecast does hold true then Mike and I could not have custom ordered any better weather for our trip. Overall highs in the upper 60s and lows in the lower 50s; slight headwind on most days but LITTLE CHANCE OF RAIN. In fact, the only day that is forecasted to have over a 15% chance of rain is Thursday, which happens to be our pre-determined rest day anyway. 

So, we appreciate all your prayers this week. Please pray for safe travels, rainless days, strong TAIL winds (if I can be greedy and ask for such) and effective chamois cream. For all you non-cyclists out there, you may not fully understand exactly what this last item is, but PLEASE pray for it none-the-less. : )

I may be able to post again tonight in VA before we start rolling tomorrow. If not, pictures are soon to follow. 

1 comment:

  1. Good Sunday morning to you. Praying for a great week of fun travel as you and Mike begin your exciting journey. Looking forward to the photos. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete